What should I do if my travel card has been lost or stolen?

1 / You must report it lost or stolen as soon as possible:

  • By telephone on +33 (0)2 47 66 70 70 
  • From your account on the filbleu.frwebsite
  • At the Fil Bleusales office- 9 rue Michelet, 37000 TOURS

Your card will be placed on the "blacklist," meaning that no one will be able to use it, even if you manage to find it yourself. 


2 / Order a replacement:

  • From your account on the filbleu.fr website. It will be delivered to your door within 10 days. 
  • At the Fil Bleu sales office- 9 rue Michelet 37000 TOURS

You will be required to pay a €10 administration fee. This will be reduced to €5 if any of the following conditions apply:

  • You buy a QF350, QF550, AAH (Disabled Adult’s Allowance) or Disability Card 
  • You pay for your subscription by direct debit 
  • You are on the Liberté plan